Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Workin' Hard for the Money

Everything ebbs and flows. The ying and the yang of life. After being out on the road on my motorcycle vacation last week I was slammed at work this week (hence not getting the trip narrative done yet). I was busy launching the limited edition Zune red MP3 player for Amazon, plus working on some high visibility UI (user interface) projects at the same time. Even though Monday was supposed to be my day off I came in to make sure the UI projects were as they should be, and that the red Zune launched ok. I worked till 8:30pm last night and was dog tired when I got home. You know what made it all worth it? A good fella on the Zune team emailed me a quick 'thank you'. No more than 2 sentences, but it made the difference. I believe in the do unto others rule and I thought about how he did a damn good job as well on the project and emailed his boss thanking her for all of the team's work, particularly his. This isn't just a love-in. It's a reminder to myself that I don't work hard just for the money, I do it because it feels good to accomplish something, to really do something. Mostly I learned that I a little thank you goes a long way.

No comments: