Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bus N Blood

I thought I'd share with you the rich and inspiring monologue from the very young mother (about 15 years old) on the bus today. She sprawled out over the back bench seat of the articulated bus, her 1 year old kid propped up like a sack of rice on the arm rest.

Actors: "Baby's Momma" and baby. She in super tight jeans and a cropped furry hood arctic jacket, with hood up, baby is something startlingly similar.


(Her cell phone rings on dead quiet bus) She at top volume: Hello! Hello! Hello? Hello? Damn. (Her cell phone rings again) Hello? Hello? Hello? Um, hello? (Her cell phone rings again) Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?

To cell phone caller: NAW!!! She gonna have to kills me. I don't care. Just kill me then. I don't care what she say. You better kill me. Um, naw. What I gonna do be skared of them girls? Go'head try and kill me.


Unattended baby wobbling back and forth, but no concern from her. Everyone on the bus is waiting to leap to catch the kid.


(Her cell phone rings) Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?
(Her cell phone rings again) Hello? Hello? Hello? Um, hello?
(Her cell phone rings) Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello?
(Her cell phone rings) Hello? Hello? Hello? Um, hello? Hears someone on the phone (finally): "Vashwanda's [like the island?] nose is bleeding again. Naw. At the jail just now. No he ain't. No. I can tell it's not her pickin' it because there's blood in her snot and it's all over her hands and shit. I don't care. (pause) Just get her some ice cream. Chocolate. And she's got the runs, and she's vomiting all over. Green. Last night. Get her some Sprite too. No, she's not picking it again. I could tell. There's blood in her snot and shit." Bus stops. She drops her bus pass and two of us squirm under the seat to get it for her as her baby is in her arms. She says nothing, but wanders off the bus toward the government housing.

Such a beautiful moment. The love shared between mother and child. The miracle of birth, of motherhood. Ah, I love the bus.

No comments: