Sunday, April 22, 2007

More Culture than Yogurt

It's been a long time since I've been to the ballet, or any kind of dance for that matter. So when we decided to go to the Pacific NW Ballet's Spring Dace Festival (on a real-live date last Friday!) I had no idea what to expect. Actually, turns out that it's interesting stuff. I'll even say that I liked it. I suppose I was traumatized in my youth with annual performances of Peter and the Wolf, lasting what seamed like 3 hours, but Friday night's performances were nothing like that. It was a collection of 8 or 9 modern and ballet influenced pieces, all rather short in length, that easily inspires the viewer to think about aesthetics, how the dancers were using shape, lines, rhythm, or if none of that just marvel at how in shape these folks were. The house lights came on after almost every dance number, and there were two intermissions so it's very relaxed and easy to chat about what you just saw (especially when you're with an expert like Lindsay). Even though I felt at times like I might be taking the first steps toward turning into Frasier Crane, poster boy of Seattle snobbery, it was a nice way to end the week and try something new. Could I be convinced to go to another one? Ask me after I get back from the next car show.

No comments: