Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Deterred by Detergent


While wandering the aisle at Safeway tonight I remembered that I needed laundry detergent. Confronted with the wall of color and promises for spring/mountain/crisp/summer rain/bouquet smelling laundry I froze up. It's one part prices - someone once told me to buy all my hygiene stuff at Target to save money so I was wondering if I was getting screwed at Safeway. It's another part eco-responsibility - didn't someone else say that laundry detergent is what's killing whales in the Puget Sound, or something like that? And lastly it's one part of me being tired of squatting next to each bottle and huffing it like a paint junkie and trying to imagine what I'd smell like to everyone if I used a particular brand. I froze up and bailed. Heck, I've got enough to make it a few more loads. I'll get Lindsay, when she's up here, to pick something and call it done. And like sands though an hour-glass these are the days of my life.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I usually use Tide Free, so I don't have to worry about all those smelly scents. I think there's enough scent with the softener, and don't like my scents to conflict with each other. Ha.
No worries, though. I still have about a half a bottle. :-)
I always think about trying some "good for the planet" alternative, though. Maybe next time......

Anonymous said...

Biokleen is a good alternative detergent and works well on pretty much anything... including baby poo and vomit. :) It seems expensive when you buy it, but you use a very small amount.

For a considerate mainstream detergent - I read somewhere Arm & Hammer doesn't have the what-ever-it-is that causes algae blooms and other life killing agents. (They also have a scent free for Lindsey.)

Anonymous said...

Oh and can I creep Lindsey out about fabric softener?

Many mainstream fabric softeners are made inpart of animal tallow...